St. Barnabas Mission Church, a white wooden building, was built on three lots purchased from the CPR by the Diocese of Qu'Appelle. The church was built in 1886, after meetings had been held in the Presbyterian Church since 1884. The old church was torn down in 1911 to make way for the present St. Barnabas Church.
The brick and Bedford stone building was constructed in 1912 at the cost of $26 000, plus $755 in architect fees. The builder was Lussier Construction Co. of Medicine Hat and the architect was J. T. Tague of Calgary. The original East Window and the bell were installed in the new church. In 1891, the Vestry purchased 6 acres of land on Seven Persons Creek to be used as a Church of England Cemetery. In 1925 Anglicans were buried in the new Hillside Cemetery and in 1934 the old cemetery was closed and the City of Medicine Hat took over. The old cemetery is still by Seven Persons Creek.
We have had two rectories. The first was built in 1886 on the south bank of the river. It was a wooden structure and had no basement. In 1925 a new pressed brick rectory was built on land adjoining the church. In 1977 this land was sold, the rectory demolished and an office building constructed on the site.
The Church is named after St. Barnabas, known as the encourager. The building was dedicated on June 11, 1913 St. Barnabas Day.